T: 510.578.3500 | F: 510.440.9525
Anuj Kumar - General Manager
Silicon Valley’s Premier Test Lab for EMI/EMC, Wireless, and Environmental Testing
The Silicon Valley test facility at NTS is a world-class product compliance and regulatory laboratory. The facility offers a full range of services, including EMI/EMC, product safety, wireless/radio, wired telecom, environmental testing, shock and vibration, thermal stress, international approvals, and more.
As the Bay Area’s premier product compliance and regulatory laboratory, NTS helps customers save time and money by helping them achieve compliance requirements quickly and efficiently, enabling them to bring products to the global markets without delay. By providing everything from pre-compliance testing to international approvals, NTS Silicon Valley is the ultimate one-stop shop for compliance and regulatory testing, often serving the aerospace, space and satellite, telecom, medical, automotive, defense, IoT, and consumer electronics sectors.
World-Class EMI/EMC Testing in the Bay Area
NTS boasts the most EMI/EMC chambers in North America. At the NTS Silicon Valley facility, customers get to work with the world’s top experts in EMI/EMC testing. Key services at the lab include the following:
- Radiated Susceptibility ~ 100 V/m (Frequency Range: 10 kHz to 18 GHz)
- HIRF Testing 100 MHz to 18 GHz up to 7200 V/m pk
- Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
- 10-meter Semi-Anechoic Chamber
- 5-Meter Semi-Anechoic Chambers
- 3-Meter Semi-Anechoic Chambers
- Extended Ground Plane Test Beds
- AC & Telecom Port Surge
- Electrical Fast Transients
- Ring-Wave and Bust Testing
- Electrical Power Characteristics Testing
- Airborne Acoustic Noise and Structure-Borne Noise
- Antenna Characterization
- Shielding Effectiveness, Transfer Impedance
- Electrostatic Discharge Up to 30 kV
- 24-hour Testing capabilities for High Throughput
With a massive 10-meter chamber—along with access to top EMI/EMC experts— NTS can accommodate almost any type of customer testing need at the Silicon Valley facility.
Trusted Product Safety Testing
As a leader in product safety testing, customers get access to top testing experts to achieve product safety. Key product safety testing services include the following:
- Strategic Relationships with UL, TUV, CSA
- In-House Product Safety Lab for Agency-Witnessed Testing Programs
- Preliminary Construction Review and Testing Services
- CE Certification Reports
Approvals are available for ITE, test and measurement, audio/video, radio, telecom, consumer electronics, medical devices, and more.
Verizon ITL for NEBS Testing
At the NTS lab in Fremont, a Verizon-certified lab, customers are able to get expert program management and engineering services to help them comply with the most demanding NEBS standards. As a result, customers can reduce instances of non-compliance during the development of a product, which helps minimize any delays in getting it to market. Key NEBS testing services include:
- Verizon-Certified Independent Test Lab
- Full Range of NEBS Testing Capabilities in One Location
- Alignment of All NEBS Test reports with RBOC Requirements
- Telecordia Telecom Related GR-XX-CORE Testing
NTS provides large-scale engineering services and program management to help you understand and comply with the most stringent NEBS standards.
Wireless Certification and Testing
From Bluetooth® to Wireless USB to ZigBee to RFID and all the various 802.11 standards, including UltrawideBand (802.15) and WiMax (802.16) products, NTS has seen it all. We operate an FCC-certified Telecommunications Certification Body to expedite your formal grant of approval and get your product to market on schedule.
In addition, the Silicon Valley laboratory currently provides Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) testing services to manufacturers of 802.11(a/n) devices and other wireless technologies that operate in the 5GHz range. Wireless services include radio requirements, DFS testing and certifications for North America via our in-house TCB. And for the European Union, NTS can issue Notified Body Opinions specific to the R&TTE Directive and the Radio Equipment Directive, RED. A summary of key wireless testing and certification services available at the Silicon Valley lab encompass the following:
- Performance Testing: An evaluation of radio performance (such as Spurious Emissions, Power, Bandwidth, Stability, Adaptivity, Receiver Blocking, etc.) versus regulatory authority requirements using industry standards.
- Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) Testing: An evaluation of a device operating in the 5250-5350 MHz or
- 5470-5725MHz band to detect local military, emergency service, or radar signals.
- Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing: Testing required when an intentional transmitter is intended totransmit within 20cm of the end user.
- Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) Calculation: Used instead of SAR when a product is not used within
- 20cm of the end user.
- Telecommunication Certified Body: S, and Canadian certifications for licensed and unlicensed radio products.
- Notified Body: Formal Type Examination Certificates for CE marking of radio communications devices per REDirective.
- Over-the-Air Antenna Testing: perform sensitivity measurements to illustrate how internal components are affecting RF radio performance, thus allowing product developers to see where the issues are during normal operation and how they are impacting the product’s performance.
As experts in wireless testing, The Silicon Valley lab is accredited by the following organizations:
- American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA)
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Innovation Science and Economic Development Canada (ISEDC)
- Australian Communications Media Authority (ACMA)
- National Communications Commission (NCC)
- Radio Research Laboratory (RRL)
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC)
The primary technologies for which the Silicon Valley performs wireless testing includes the following:
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID)
- Bluetooth (5.2)
- Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS)
- Private Mobile Radio (PMR)
- FM Transmitters
- Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN – 802.11)
Extreme Environmental Simulations
In Silicon Valley, engineers are able to simulate any environmental condition on earth. Primary simulations include the following:
- Temperature, Humidity, and Altitude
- Wind, Ice, Rain, Sand, and Dust
- Salt Fog and Salt Spray Corrosion
- Solar Radiation & Actinic Testing
- Highly Accelerated Life Testing
- Highly Accelerated Thermal Shock
Robust Dynamics Capabilities in Fremont
Ensure that your product is ready for mass production with our full line of dynamics testing services. Whether it’s testing materials for fatigue and corrosion or putting components through HALT/HASS accelerated stress tests, after dynamics testing, your products are far more prepared to go to market successfully once you’ve had the chance to make any needed modifications to their design and/or manufacture. That is why we have one of the most comprehensive arrays of dynamics testing services anywhere. Common services at the lab include the following:
- Acceleration Testing
- Acoustic Noise Testing
- Impact Testing
- Corrosion Testing
- Vibration Testing
- Shock Testing
- Drop Testing
- HALT Testing
- HASS Testing
International Approvals and Certification
Getting your product into international markets can be difficult—particularly during a pandemic. Plus, geopolitical dynamics fundamentally change the type of markings you might need to get your product into a new country. In the UK, for example, Brexit means that you will need a UKCA marking to sell your product. Meanwhile, new criteria for your product in Russia, Ukraine, India, Brazil, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates is necessary. Are you aware of these changes? The good news is that a team of experts is dedicated to helping you track every minor change to help you secure regulatory approval in global markets. The goal is to streamline the process for entering international markets to avoid delays and duplicative testing. The international approval services include the following:
- A Single-Point-of-Contact for 180 Countries
- In-country Testing and Approvals
- Globally Recognized Test Reports
- In-Country Representation
- On-going Compliance Tracking
- Compliance Strategy for Faster Certification
Take a moment to view the animation below about streamline international approvals—and let the experts at the Silicon Valley lab accelerate your entry into key global markets.
10 Microphone Acoustic Testing Array
NTS Silicon Valley uses an advanced acoustic noise data acquisition system from a single microphone to a 10 microphone array. This setup can capture multiple sound pressure measurements or an entire sound power field instantaneously. As a result, the engineers at the lab can test different product configurations during a single day-long test session, which can expedite troubleshooting and time to market.